A guide on 99 ways to promote your blog for free. If you are looking for ways to promote your blog but are stuck on ideas? Here I have listed all of the ideas I’ve found from around the web and I’m sharing them with you. If your a new blogger or a pro. You are sure to find at least one idea you haven’t tried yet with your own site.
I know I totally ripped off JayZ’s 99 Problems. It got your attention though!
With all of the changes Google has been making a lot of blogs are getting stuffed so far down into their SERP results you’ll never be seen. So what can you do about this? You’ll want to make sure you are creating great content and following what Google wants you to do of course.
You’re going to have to ‘think outside of the box’ when it comes to promoting your blog. Do I expect that you could do everything in the list below? Probably not. Unless you have a team of people working with you there just isn’t enough time. So make sure to do your research and test out different things and find what works for you.
99 Ways to Promote Your Blog
1. Guest Post on other Blogs – I suggest reading this article here first, I would then make sure you have a clear set of goals in mind, and do your research and only guest post on blogs that are in your niche! Need help finding blogs to guest post at?
Start with Google and perform the following searches. Just make sure to replace keyword with the one related to your business or niche:
- keyword “submit a guest post”
- keyword “guest post”
- keyword “guest post by”
- keyword “accepting guest posts”
- keyword “guest post guidelines”
Warning: Make sure that you are being very careful about Guest Posting. Make sure that you are offering real value to the website you are posting on. And make sure that the site is even worth the effort to begin with. I would only suggest posting on high Domain Authority websites if at all possible. Otherwise? Save the content for your own site and look for other ways to promote your content.
2. One other site I recommend is Guest Crew for getting or marketing articles.
3.Comment on NoFollow Blogs Only. With Google’s recent updates you don’t want to get hit by Panda. Also make sure to leave comments on blogs that are related to your topics or niche. Otherwise your wasting your time.
4. Top Commenting Plugin – Find blogs that use this plugin on their blog and start taking part in the conversation to get on the list. This way people will find your profile and click on it to go back to your blog. Do a Google Search for “TOP COMMENTLUVVERS”
5. Speaking of Comments? Make sure you reply to Every Single One – whether on your own blog or the ones you left a comment on. This isn’t only just being courteous. You are sure to have people remember you and will be more willing to promote and visit your own blog.
6. Interlink your Blog Posts – Use the Previous/Next Post down at the Footer. Also link to other articles like I did here in this article 🙂
9. Setup a Weekly Newsletter with an RSS Feed of your latest posts.
10. If you opt for the paid service? Make sure to setup your Auto Responders. Make sure that the emails you send aren’t just to offer people stuff. Give them VALUE that they can use. This way they will open your mail, and are sure to return to your site!
11. Have Multiple Opt in Forms on your Blog where people can sign up to your email list.
12. Get a Popup plugin prompting people to sign up to your mailing list. Sure they are annoying – because they WORK. I personally like WP Subscribers or Hybrid Connect (affiliate links)
13. Setup your RSS Feed through Feedburner or Feed Blitz
14. Make sure you have Social Sharing buttons on your site. Like the one that I have? You’ll have to wait for the release and my review later on how to get it!
15. I’d also list Social Proof of your subscribers and followers as well as this gives a level of trust of people visiting to get them to sign up as well.
Note: About Blogging Community Sites: I would make sure that these types of sites have set their links to NoFollow now. Google is taking a hardline on these types of Blogging Communities now and you could get dinged by them.
Read More: Blog Engage Does it Work? My Honest Review
19. Submit your Blog to the social bookmark sites like Delicious
20. Submit your Blog articles to Digg they are DoFollow links and although the site isn’t as popular as in the past. It is still a great place to submit your articles to.
21. Sign up and submit your blog to Technorati. Sure its old school but its a great place to see where you stand within your blog’s topic. Plus you get some free backlinks back to your blog as well.
22. Submit your Blog articles to Stumbleupon – The more visual they are (i.e. infographics) the better your traffic results will be.
23. If you use great images in your articles? Then submit them to Pinterest
24. Submit your articles to redditt. Make sure you are submitting them to the correct sub reddit. Example: redditt.com/r/gaming for video game related info.
Warning: Submit to redditt at your own risk. Its a fickle bunch and you must take part in the community before submitting your links. And they better be ‘VIRAL worthy’ otherwise its a waste of time.
26. While your at it. Join Triberr as well. This is an AWESOME site for networking with bloggers and having them share your content – while you in turn share theirs.
27. Join Empire Avenue. It is a fun way to ‘invest’ in people. Also you can create missions where people will have to perform actions – Like your Facebook page, Visit your Blog post and share it etc.
28. Join Klout – if not for anything else its great for the Perks you can get. Plus you can see how ‘successful’ you are in Social Media.
29. Get your Blog setup for Twitter Cards so any articles you reference will show up with a great looking summary people can see instead of that bit.ly link you submitted.
30. Speaking of which – you should really sign up for a bit.ly account as its a trusted URL Shortener which is great for posting links on Twitter.
31. And use a service like Buffer to help you schedule out sharing of your posts on Twitter, Facebook, and Google +.
32. Or get HootSuite to manage all of your Social Media in one window.
33. Create a Facebook Business Page – Add Custom Pages to your Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and of course Your Blog
34. Join LinkedIn and make sure to fill out the profile completely. Then make sure to cite your blog and have it update with your latest blog articles.
35. Join popular LinkedIn Discussion Groups and make sure to take part in their discussions. Then cite your own articles in them.
36. Create a Google Plus page for your Blog
37. Since you signed up for Google Plus – you should set up your Google Authorship so your picture shows up in Google’s search results.
38. And work on getting your Google Plus Vanity url while you still can.
39. Take part in Forums and link your articles in them (only if relevant)
40. Put your Blog in your Signature on Forums that are considered high quality and are related to your blog’s topic or business. Note: Google has stated these links don’t hold as much ‘link juice’ as they have in the past. But I still like it as I get the odd bit of traffic from the curious clicker 🙂
41. Join and take part in .gov, .edu, or .org Forums and leave a link back to your blog in them. Don’t just do this for the backlink. You’ll need to actually participate and not just leave your link and forget about them.
42. Answer Questions in Yahoo Answers and cite your blog or article in your answer.
43. Join Quora and ask a Question citing your article or blog.
44. Write a great article on About.com and it will have a link back to your blog in the author bio.
45. Join YouTube and create a channel.
46. Create videos and upload them to your YouTube channel. Make sure to add links to your blog and social media in the “About” section of every video you upload.
47. Take those videos you uploaded and add them to Vimeo as well.
48. Create an Instagram Page and add pictures that link back to your blog.
49. Join Vine and create silly videos related to your content. And make sure to link back to your blog.
51. Get your Blog submitted to DMOZ (Open Directory Project) – This could take a long time for the submission process but once on there it is great for getting backlinks to your blog.
52. Create an About.me page and link back to your blog in it.
53. Create a Wiki page of yourself and cite your blog in it.
54. Re-purpose your content into .pdf and share it. Use a free service like Print Friendly to get it converted.
56. Create an eBook and publish it on Amazon. You could do it with one of your most popular blog posts or create one related to your topic and include links inside back to your blog.
57. Or just give the eBook away in your email opt in form.
58. If your doing a big launch for a product or that eBook? You could always do a News Release using a site like PRWeb
59. Create a Weekly Podcast
60. Create a Weekly Google Plus Hangout and re-post it on your blog.
62. Interview Top Bloggers related to your niche or business.
63. Create a list of Top Bloggers in your niche.
64. You could ask bloggers to interview you for their own blog.
65. Ask popular bloggers a question through email and ask if you can publish the answer on your blog post. You can read one I recently asked to do about Web Hosting specifically HostGator.
66. Create a post about up and coming bloggers and then email them notifying them of your article. They will comment on the post and are sure to share it with their friends.
67. Submit testimonials of products that you have reviewed or use and include a link back to your blog. If the site owner uses your testimonial you will get a free link back to your blog getting you additional traffic (and backlinks)!
68. Host Giveaways. Make sure to giveaway products related to your niche or if all else fails? Offer cash. Of course the bigger the giveaway the more entries and traffic you will receive. If you need help getting started with giveaways you might want to try Giveaway.ly.
70. Speaking of Contests – you could always join a Blogging Contest. They are an awesome way for you to possibly win some money. The exposure of just joining the contest itself will help you in promoting your blog.
71. Host your own Blogging Contest – Make sure people link back to your blog when they promote it.
72. Or you you could help sponsor a Blog Contest and have people add a link that way.
73. Giveaway Free Stuff. This could be anything from WordPress plugins, WordPress themes, e-books… just about anything. People love free stuff and if the free stuff is any good? People will promote it for you!
74. Write Product Reviews related to your blog’s topic. Make sure that they are products that you would want to use for your own blog instead of just picking random junk from Clickbank and trying to promote it. People can smell “Internet Marketer” from a mile away.
75. Write a review of a Service you use like I did for Cloud Flare. (It really is an awesome free CDN service btw.) You could get it linked from within that Services page and get traffic from it!
76. Write a Controversial post – For example: 100 Reasons Why the iPhone Sucks and Android Doesn’t
77. Use “The Ultimate Guide” and make sure the post is just that when you use it!
78. Create White Paper studies.
79. Create a Case Study and publish it.
81. Create a custom web tool like Neil Patel did with QuickSprout. It is awesome!
82. Create a WordPress plugin and have it link back to your blog inside of the Settings Page (not site wide!)
83. Create a WordPress Theme and offer to give it away for free.
84. If your a Graphic Artist or Photographer running a blog? Then create some Creative Common images or graphics and post them onto sites like Flickr or 123rf.com and allow people to use them and have them cite back to your blog.
85. Go to Google Trends to get ideas for blog posts.
87. Create How-To posts on topics related to your blog. (ie. Don’t do how to articles on ‘Underwater Basket Weaving’ if you’re a Tech site.)
88. Create Top 10 Lists posts. Ridiculous you say? Tell that to Listverse – my wife loves that place.
89. Create a Top 100 Post like this one!
90. Create “Top 10 Myths” or “Top 10 Mistakes” posts.
91. Have your own Blogger Showcase where you talk about a blogger in your niche.
92. Write Comparison posts of Products or Services related to your topic/niche.
93. Sign up to Beta test products and write about them.
94. Write about Kickstarter projects and let the people know about it – they could promote your article if they like it!
95. Offer free help to other bloggers – from guest posts, to helping solve problems with their blogs etc. If you do a good job they will promote your site for you as well!
96. Create an app for your website so people can read it easily on their smartphones or tablets.
98. Offer to speak at events or businesses and make sure to plug your blog.
99. Try and get writing jobs for major websites like the Huffington Post where you can get an author bio that links back to your own blog.
100. Offer to write for local magazines or newspapers where you can have a link back to your blog.
101. And Finally (drumroll please) Create GOOD Content – Yes you have hear “Content is King” a million different ways. It is even more important now not only with Google’s updates to Penguin, Panda, and Hummingbird. If you don’t start with this concept first? Nobody will want to read your blog and no matter how much you promote it? None of it will matter.
OK, so it was 101 tips. You get a few extras. More is always a good thing anyways 🙂 I hope you enjoyed this list as much as I did trying to put it together. I know it isn’t very organized and I wrote it the way my mind thinks – which is a strange process to say the least.
Now this is where I ask you:
Have I Missed Anything?
What other techniques do you use to promote your own blog? Leave a comment below with your own tips. If I like them I will update the post and make sure to cite you and your blog!