I hope everyone had a Happy New Year! With the new year brings new games. And this year is starting to look pretty good. Take a look inside at avgjoegeek’s list of hot new games for 2013!
avgjoegeek’s list of the Hottest Anticipated New Games for 2013
The 2013 gaming season is starting off with bang with some pretty huge titles. I know I have personally been waiting for a few of the titles below. Go to the bottom of the article for a special deal if you pre-order through the Microsoft Store! (** for Xbox 360 games only of course)
Gears of War: Judgement
This is the next in the Gears of War series coming exclusively to Xbox 360.
- Set years prior to the events of the previous “Gears of War” trilogy, “Judgment” centers on Kilo Squad, a troop of soldiers led by Damon Baird and Augustus “The Cole Train” Cole.
- “Gears of War: Judgment” introduces brand-new multiplayer experiences, including OverRun, a thrilling new class-based competitive mode that pits Locust and COG soldiers in a head-to-head battle unlike anything “Gears” fans have experienced yet.
- “Gears of War: Judgment” introduces a new Smart Spawn System [S3] for both campaign and multiplayer action.
- Marking a first for the “Gears” franchise, “Gears of War: Judgment” features a “Misson Declassification” system that lets players experience more challenging gameplay scenarios and achievements by uncovering critical information during the course of the campaign.
- Playable cooperatively with up to three friends on Xbox LIVE (four players total), “Gears of War: Judgment” depicts the planet Sera on the brink of annihilation by an unstoppable new Locust menace, giving you a new vantage point into one of the richest and most acclaimed sagas in gaming.
Grand Theft Auto V
Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V is the largest and most ambitious title in the series to date. Set in the sprawling city of Los Santos and the surrounding area, Grand Theft Auto V delivers a world of unprecedented scale and detail bursting with life, from mountaintops to the depths of the ocean.
Of course it would be nice if we had a release date! I’ll post it as soon as I find it. *bleh*
Although this game keeps getting pushed back and has lost the Multiplayer aspect – this is still probably the coolest game I want to play this year.
- The year is 1912 and you are Booker DeWitt, a former Pinkerton agent. His mission: rescue the mysterious Elizabeth from the sky-city Columbia or never leave it alive. But why is everyone so afraid of a young girl?
- A technological marvel, the flying city of Columbia a beautiful and vibrant world that has a very dark secret – a secret that not only threatens the existence of Columbia but could change Booker forever
- Using his Sky-Hook, Booker is able to dish out severe hands-on punishment and traverse the city s hook points and Sky-Lines, turning them into weaponized roller coasters
- Your traveling companion Elizabeth has the power to open Tears in time and space. Booker can use these Tears to shape the battlefield and turn the tide in combat by pulling cover, weapons, turrets, and other resources out of thin air
- What would a BioShock game be without a variety of devastating powers surging through your body to be unleashed against all that oppose you? Vigors let you tailor your play style for maximum effect
Tomb Raider: Final Hours
In this reboot of Tomb Raider – we’ll get to see Lara Croft like we’ve never seen her before. If your looking for your typical maze, shooter, with big virtual boobies? This isn’t going to be that type of game.
- Designed to reboot the game series for both the new generation of gamers, as well as longtime fans
- Set before even the earliest of classic games in series, Tomb Raider serves as origin story for Lara Croft, detailing her metamorphosis from unsure young woman, to superstar adventurer
- Incorporates a variety of gameplay genres, including survival, stealth, melee and ranged combat, exploration, and more
- Utilize a variety of weapons, including bow and arrow, an ice ax, and pistols
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3, PC
Lost Planet 3
I’ll be honest here. I’ve never actually played any of these games in the series. Although this one does look interesting with its mix of mech(excuse me: Utility Rig), changing environment and extreme conditions. That and the fact it is using the Unreal 3 engine? It is going to not only play well but it will look amazing!
- Return to extreme conditions – Taking the series back to its roots Lost Planet 3 returns to E.D.N. III, delivering a dynamic battle field that’s more dangerous than ever before with an ever changing climate that will affect the way you play
- Brave the terrifying – Play as blue collar worker Jim, risking assignments in treacherous conditions to earn his hazard pay and return home to his family
- Home away from home – Protect yourself from hostile Akrid and the unpredictable ice storms on E.D.N. III with your utility rig. Equipped with an assortment of tools you’ll need to learn to use the rig to your advantage in order to survive
- Gameplay Variety – Offering a mix of first person combat in the rig and third person gunplay on foot
- Intense, cinematic experience -Developed with the Unreal Engine 3, Lost Planet 3 presents a visually stunning and unique terrain that impacts the gameplay
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3
Metal Gear: Rising Revengeance
OK, Personally I think they have beat this series down into submission a few versions ago. And the fact they are using a nonsense word doesn’t help me much either. But if you like stealth games this one is looking pretty good for 2013!
- Rising’s stealth elements will emphasize Raiden’s considerable speed and agility through what Matsuyama describes as “hunting stealth.”
- Gameplay will focus on two key elements: swordfighting, and a style of stealth that is more fast-paced and action-oriented.
- “Cutting” entails sophisticated swordplay that lets players engage in third person melee combat, as well as precisely slash enemies and objects “at will” along a geometrical plane using a “free slicing” mode.
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3
I’ve played the first two. And I can say that Crysis 2 was the hardest shooter I’ve played in quite awhile which is a good thing! This time around your in a huge Bio Dome surrounding New York – which has turned into some type of crazy urban rain forest! That and don’t forget the bow… why is everyone so hyped on that? If you played Turok back in the day? You’ve already had fun with a bow before! But get ready for more stunning environments, stealth gameplay, and a million different ways to blow up aliens!
- Seven Wonders of the Urban Rainforest – New York City has been contained in a giant nanodome and grown into a unique rainforest with seven distinct environments. Master the ultimate sandbox and turn it into your own personal hunting ground.
- Assess, Adapt, and Attack – Crysis’s highly-acclaimed sandbox gameplay is back with more open levels to let players choose their path and approach. Your upgraded Nanosuit allows brute force or stealth, always giving you more than one option.
- Expanded Multiplayer – Experiment with new ways to customize your Nanosuit and brand new game modes.
- The Biggest and Most Explosive Arsenal in Franchise History – In addition to giving you an arsenal of human firearms, Crysis 3 lets you scavenge alien weapons and deploy an all-new signature bow
- The Evolution of CryENGINE – CryENGINE unleashes the power of the Crytek creative team and delivers a visually stunning and varied gameplay experience.
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3, PC
Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel
This is the ultimate co-op duck and cover shooter. I briefly played the first one and although it was a lot of fun – it was tough finding someone to co-op with all the times I wanted to play it.
- Shoot-and-Destroy Tactical Co-op: Work together and perform challenging strategic maneuvers with your friend in a true two-player co-op experience with flanking, dual-breach, riot-shield attacks, and much more!
- Unleash the Ultimate Destructive Power of Overkill: Build up your Overkill meter by performing cooperative maneuvers and unleash it with your partner to take destruction to a whole new level.
- Challenge a Powerful and Ruthless Mexican Cartel: Experience a grim but relevant story set in a modern Mexico that’s been torn apart by the drug war.
- Customize Your Character for Explosive Action: Use the powerful customization tools to outfit Alpha and Bravo with personalized tactical gear to prepare for a dangerous, action-packed mission to end the cartel’s ruthless reign.
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3
Tiger Woods PGA 14
Although Tiger Woods popularity and game play have been severely cut it is still cool to see that this franchise is still around. The most fun I had with it was on the Wii though where I literally got hit in the face because of it! Anyways this one is looking pretty good as well. Only available on Xbox 360 you can now go through and play against the legends of the PGA tour!
- For one week each spring, golf’s greatest players from around the world gather on the sacred grounds of Augusta National Golf Club and now you can take part in one the greatest traditions in sports, the Masters Tournament
- Huge galleries, digital leaderboards, and dynamic crowd reactions throughout the course add to the intense experience of real tournament golf
- Play As Or Against Over 20 Pros – Take to the links with legends such as Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus or modern day pros like Tiger Woods, Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson or Rickie Fowler
- 25 Championship Courses – Take on best of the best on some of the world’s most celebrated courses, including Augusta National Golf Club, the St. Andrews Links and TPC Sawgrass
- Dynamic Weather Conditions – Powered by the Weather Channel, real-time weather has a major effect on gameplay conditions. If it’s raining in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, then you too can face the challenge of a rain-soaked TPC Sawgrass
Platforms: Xbox 360 Only
Dead Space 3
Dead Space always reminds me of those “Choose Your Own Adventure” Books I used to read as a kid. It is great for re-play ability. I’m just not too fond of Sci Fi RPG’s now days. I had my fill of them with Origin’s Wing Commander series back in the day – bad acting and all 🙂
- Team up and take down the terror together – Play the full campaign in online co-op or single player through easy drop-in and drop-out play.
- Head planet side and experience a hostile new environment – Discover underworld cities and accept side missions. Explore the frozen terrain and search abandoned encampments.
- Uncover the past and embark on a thrilling expedition to save mankind – Discover the source of the Necromorph terror and fight to fend off the extinction of the human race.
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3, PC
Price: $57.09 (on Amazon)
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Although THQ is no more as of today (Source: IGN – 1/24/2013) their games still live on! I saw the teaser for this during E3 last year and I was actually interested in this. It looks like they finally put in the work to make a GOOD South Park Game. We will have to wait and see!
- Epic South Park Adventure: Jump into the world of South Park like you never have before with a game directly from the shows creators, Trey Parker and Matt Stone
- Signature South Park Combat: Team up with the South Park boys and other notable characters from the South Park universe to battle the forces evil
- You are the Hero: Create a character in your image and choose how to lead the South Park boys to victory
- Eric ‘Not-fat-just-big-boned’ Cartman will act as the player’s guide and provide a choice of five classes to pick from: Adventurer, Rogue, Paladan, Wizard, and an undisclosed fifth class “made up” by Cartman.
- Players will assume the role of a new kid in South Park attempting to fit in and be accepted by others. The game opens with the new kid taking part in a live action role-playing game that quickly snowballs into a real quest
- The character will be fully customisable and has a smartphone used to track friends and standing with the town’s various factions.
- The main character will be a silent protagonist, a choice made based on Parker’s preferences.
Platforms: Xbox 360 PS3
God of War: Ascension
It is sad to say I’ve only ever played God of War on a PSP. Although I loved this hack n slash game based on beating the gods. I never got around to playing it on the PS3. I might just have to change that with this new one coming out!
- Kratos’ quest for freedom from the very beginning with an epic new single-player story.
- New combat and puzzle mechanics build on the award-winning God of War gameplay.
- Multiplayer comes to God of War for the first time. Take the epic God of War combat online with 8-player objective-based combat.
- Align yourself to Zeus, Ares, Poseidon, or Hades and earn their Favor to unlock new customization options for your multiplayer Gladiator.
You can pre-order any of the above games by clicking on the pics above and be taken directly to Amazon. Or you can go to Gamestop, Newegg.com, or your favorite local retailer!
Of course this isn’t a complete list of games coming out for 2013. But this should get you started and take you through summer at least!
What Games Are You Looking Forward To?
What games are you looking forward to this year in 2013? Let me know in the comments below!