Why is that download taking for ever to finish? How many times is that online video going to buffer? Why is it people in my Call of Duty match are running around me in circle? What can you do to speed it all up? Use these quick and simple Internet speed fixes, and get rid of the lag.
Lag Things Just Keep Getting Slower
What causes computer lag? Often, spyware and viruses are to blame. They appear on your computer because they hide in files you download and links you click. They crop up in emails, and they trick you into downloading things that are bad for your computer.
Spyware will use your browser, taking Internet speed and computer memory away from the programs you actually want to run. It monitors your keystrokes, so it will actually slow down your system the more you’re using it. Viruses install new code on your computer and will actually reproduce, blossoming on your hard drive to take up more and more space.
Get a good anti-virus program to clean up your hard drive. Once that’s done, apply the following Internet speed fixes to boost your computer’s performance. You should check out avgjoegeek’s awesome list of free software that includes spyware removal and anti virus!
[stextbox id=”info”]Read More: avgjoegeek’s Must Have Free Software for a New Windows Install[/stextbox]
Check Your Software to Increase Speed
If your Internet is slow, it could be due to software over-usage. Apply three quick software fixes to apply more speed to your system.
- Add-ons: Browser add-ons may negatively affect Internet speeds and performance. Try disabling your add-ons to see how well your computer runs without them. Look for specific slow add-ons by disabling them one at a time.
- Memory: Your browser remembers things about you. It will store pages you visit, passwords and programs you’ve downloaded. Clear this memory out regularly, because all that storage space can slow your Internet connection. Visit your browser setting to clear history and memory cache.
- Open programs: Check your system tray to see what’s running in the background. You may have unnecessary programs running every time you turn on your computer. Clear these out by managing your Start menu folder, and erasing or moving those programs you don’t need.
Confirm That Hardware is Working Properly
Your problem could be in the hardware you’re using to connect to the Internet. Try three quick fixes to get more speed.
- Check your modem: Go into your Internet settings and troubleshoot your modem. Look to see how many devices are using your Internet, and add password protection. If you have slow speeds, it’s possible that people nearby are using your Internet.
- Check your ISP: Some ISPs are faster than others. If your Internet is very slow, the problem could be on their end. Cable connections are often faster than DSL, for example, and both are faster than dial-up. Choose an ISP that offers fast and reliable services. Look for cable, DSL and Satellite Internet providers in your area to find out what’s available to you.
- Hard-wire: If you have a lot of wireless devices like gaming systems and smartphones accessing your Internet then it’s going to slow down. Hard-wire your computers and devices wherever you can. A hard-wired Internet connection is faster than the wireless signal.
- Address the common causes of Internet lag with quick fixes. Apply them often to perform regular speed maintenance on your machine, and avoid all the lag.
What types of fixes can you suggest to fix Internet Lag? Share them here!
When in an intense online gaming battle Chris only trusts Satellite Internet providersto make sure he isn’t lagging and getting pwned like a noob![/box]