I had originally created a simple video to install MW3 Maps. This has now grown to an unofficial PS3 FAQ for errors d/l or installing the new DLC Content. Look to the steps below on how to download, install, and play the maps!
How To Install New Maps for PS3
Update: Activision apparently finally provided a tutorial with pictures. So you can read below for the quick and dirty version – or go to their link here to see some pretty pictures on how to d/l as well.
- Start up Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (*duh* ;-p )
- Go to ‘Play Multiplayer’
- Select the new option ‘STORE’
- It will take you out of the game and then directly to the PS3 Store
- You will see the Downloads Available there
- Select a Map by pressing the X button.
- Select Download in the next screen.
- Select “Download in Background”
- It will take you back to the first screen.
- Rinse and Repeat
- After you have selected the Maps and you exit the Store – you will be returned to the game. Exit COD: MW3 Immediately in order to continue downloading the maps!
- Then Install each Map.. then continue reading to figure out how to actually play them.
How Do I Play the New Maps?
- You will need to go to your Playlist under MultiPlayer
- Under the INITIAL Playlist options
- You will see an ELITE playlist – THIS is where you get to play the new maps. They are ELITE Premium lobbies – sorry folks – if you didn’t pay you don’t get to play. (Hence why I keep trying to pimp the ELITE Premium service!)
- ELITE Standard – You get to play TD, Domination, and KC
- ELITE Ricochet (Hardcore) – The above in hardcore mode.
- ELITE Objective – S&D, Demolition, CTF(?)
If you run into any issues or have any questions please feel free to leave a comment and I will try and get it approved ASAP.
8/16 Free Map Terminal and ELITE Premium Content Update
You should read my post HERE on why you might be receiving the problems you’ve been having with not getting the new content (or seeing anything at all for that matter). Unfortunately Activision Support doesn’t show anything really for those reporting no content in the Playstation Store error.
Update: Activision Support updated their site about the “No Content Found Error” when you go to the PS3 Store and nothing shows up. Click HERE to directly to the post. Essentially they say if you do see multiple regions you should download the one that says
BLU BLES-01428 and it should work.
And I bugged them on Twitter:
@avgjoegeek We are still looking into the situation. Thank you for your patience.
— Activision Support (@ATVIAssist) August 30, 2012
Product Code Example
This is a screen shot of what they are talking about the “Product Code” you need. To find out your local one you will need to look on the “Spine” of the game box your disk came in. The one I’m showing is for my region the U.S.
7/19 Face Off Map Update
YOU WILL NEED TO RE-DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR MAPS YET AGAIN – Follow the Video on how to do this – make sure to download and re-install EVERYTHING and you should be fine. I just had to do it… again and it worked fine. Still no word on how to fix if your getting the “<map> Corrupted error”.
6/21/2012 PATCH NOTES UPDATE
The latest patch blew away all of my DLC Content and apparently the PS Store was down for a bit afterwards. You will need to go in and re-download the maps again. For ELITE Premium players this means… each map by hand. For those who purchased the Collection packs? You are lucky – you only have to download the two Collection packs and the Freebie maps for the new Game Mode!
If you continue to have issues – check out the video on how to delete your COD MW3 game data and re-patch/download the maps again. Hopefully that fixes it. GG Sony and Activision!
I tweeted Activision Support about it and this was the answer I received! If you are having other issues and re-installing the maps do not fix it – you will need to go to their site and hopefully they have an answer!
@avgjoegeek This is an issue currently being looked into at this time. Redownloading the content was a quick solution to this issue.
— Activision Support (@ATVIAssist) June 22, 2012
Q: I lost All of my DLC Maps after the Latest Patch!
- A: Read above – you will need to re-download (ALL OF) them from the Playstation 3 Store
- It means you didn’t download the map packs correctly or it fubard during the install process. You should re-download all of the content that applies to you (Free Maps, Collection Packs, or ELITE content). Make sure you are downloading and installing the Validation Codes found within the packs or they won’t work. Worst case? Delete you data – which only removes your Saved Games and Spec Ops data! Then re-patch and re-download. If that doesn’t work? Contact Activision Support.
Q: I am unable to play <X> Map or I receive an error after I have installed the maps.
- A: You either did not download all of the map packs (including the free FACE OFF maps and SPEC OP Maps!) or something fubard. You can try just re-downloading the content again through the playstation store or if that doesn’t work? Look at the video below on how to wipe your data (which will wipe your spec ops stats!) and try re-downloading yet again. There is an article from support.activision.com that might be able to help you as well. It pretty much states what I already told you in the youtube video though!
- A: Then um.. go to Activision Support and do a Search there. Hopefully they have an answer to why your PS3 is glowing green and spinning around the room. 😀
- No. You only need ELITE Premium if you wish to take part in Clan Ops, Lone Wolf Ops, and have early access to downloadable content. (Plus you would have saved 10 bucks on the DLC).
- (Source: support.activision.com) This may occur if you are trying to join a match with players that have the most current DLC (Downloadable Content) while not having the content on your own console. This is a rare issue. If you find that you are unable to join a match after receiving this error, restart the console and enter Multiplayer Mode.
- Ensure that you purchased the correct regional DLC for your region and game disc. The region of the Game Disc must match that of the console and location of the account in order for this DLC to function.
What I gather from this? You either downloaded the wrong map pack (for your region for those in Europe, Australia or other parts unknown 🙂 ) You can read more from Activision Support about how this whole Region business works here.
Or your screwed – reboot the console and hopefully it works again. I would suggest going and talking with Activision Support