So now that we have seen what all the major developers are offering. The question is going to be who will be on top? Who is going to win in the battle of the first person shooters for 2014? Take a look inside as I go through each of the four big hitters, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, and Destiny and give my predictions in this article.
Who Do You Think Will Win?
Of course in the end – its us the players who will ultimately win! But who will end up on top? This is the list I put together with my predictions on who will end up on top for 2014!
1. Call of Duty: Ghosts
Whether you like it or not you know that this is still going to be the #1 shooter for the season. Why? Well its been around for over 10 years. It has a rabid following of millions of online players. Not to mention the fact that Ghosts is going to be the official FPS game for the MLG circuit. Activision, Infinity Ward, and Raven have stated that this is going to be the best Call of Duty as they have completely re-worked the game from the ground up.
Some of the features of the next generation of Call of Duty: Ghosts are:
- Updated Graphics and Audio with the NexGen engine
- Customization with their “Create a Soldier” interface allowing you to customize your avatar – which now finally includes a female avatar.
- New “Pick 8” interface which will allow up to 12 Perks!
- All new maps which include destructible areas/traps
- Completely re-vamped weapons
- New Game Modes “Search & Rescue”, “Cranked”, and the new co-op “Squads” which replaces the prior “Spec-Ops” from Modern Warfare 3
- “Riley” your new Guard Dog
If you want to read more about all of the upcoming good stuff that was announced for Ghosts? I suggest reading the post I did about the Gamescon 2013 announcement below. And of course you can watch the entire Gamescon 2013 reveal on YouTube too!
2. Battlefield 4
The Battlefield series has been around for as long as Call of Duty. But after Battlefield 2 it kind of went to the dogs with the Bad Company series. Well Dice and EA came back with a vengeance with Battlefield 3! With their Frostbite engine and overall improvements the game has become a hit among gamers now. It just doesn’t have the same following as Call of Duty has so gets the 2nd spot here.
Some of the features for Battlefield 4 are:
- New Frostbite 4 Engine
- Improved Single Player and Co-Op modes
- 3 Playable Factions: U.S., Russia, and China
- Up to 64 players for PC, PS4, and Xbox One for multi player
- New maps that allow you to use and play new water-based vehicle combat
- “Levolution” – Complete eestructive environments which allows players to change their environment based on the battle so now two battles on the same map seem the same.
But if you think I might be down playing this game at all? You’d be dead wrong. This looks to be the best looking shooter out of all of the ones in this list. Take a look at the game play below and I know you’ll be as psyched as I am for this game to be coming out!
Titanfall is a futuristic online shooter that mixes the elements of the game Tribes along with Mech Warrior into one game. Created by Ravensoft Entertainment – former co-founders of Infinity Ward who helped create the Call of Duty Modern Warfare series. Everyone is hoping for the next shooter to come out to become the big “Cod Killer”. Unfortunately this isn’t it. Why? For a few reasons. 1) Its an Xbox exclusive (or PC thankfully). Its too new. Its a futuristic shooter which a lot of Call of Duty players will not like. Early reveals have brought a lot of critical acclaim but we won’t know how it actually does until it is released in early Spring of 2014. So this hits #3 in the list due to too many unknowns.
- Choose your side as one of the IMC or the Militia
- Play on the ground as an Elite Assault Pilot or in your giant warrior robot – Titan
- Immersive environments while playing online that are usually reserved for single player campaigns.
- Exclusive for the Xbox 360, One, or PC only
Take a look at the Gamescon Multiplayer trailer below:
Bungie the original creators of the game Halo have decided to move onto bigger and better things. Destiny plans on being it. From early gameplay sneak peaks, pictures, and everything I’ve read about it – this will probably the game of the year. It has all of the elements of both being an awesome shooter and an online MMO – without all of the grind that usually gets involved with it. Set for release in June of 2014 this game can’t get here soon enough!
Civilization as we know it has been all but destroyed and you are the last bastion of hope in defending the last city on earth. Choose your character and be brave as you play in an always online environment where you can play as a single player, co-op, or mutliplayer.
- The next evolution of entertainment – an incredible story set within a newly-imagined, always-connected universe filled with action and adventure.
- Create your character, forge your legend by defeating powerful foes, and earn unique and customizable weapons, gear, and vehicles.
- Unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre and breaks traditional conventions of story, cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes, combined with public and social activities.
Take a look at the sneak peak from this years E32013:
I know this list might seem biased. In reality though – if your going to start making announcements for a new game – you should already have your scheduled release date ready BEFORE you make the announcement. I understand that game publishers want to try and get as many players hyped as they can. The problem is with today’s gaming market is that the attention span of gamers is ever becoming shorter and shorter.
If you think this list should be different? Or if I maybe missed one that you think should be on the list? Make sure to leave a comment on why you think the list should be switched up. Make sure to list the reasons why you think so!