The folks over at Gamers Option were kind enough to send me over a Rapid Fire PS3 Controller for the PlayStation 3. I know what most people think. Its a complete hack tool to cheat at FPS games like Call of Duty. I’m going to lay some of these fears to rest. Read on as I put it through its paces, go over the features, and what I think of the overall quality of the Controller.
What is a Rapid Fire Modded Controller?
A Rapid Fire PS3 controller starts out as a standard controller then with a little bit of technology added gives you additional features to give you an advantage in FPS games. I know that might be over-simplifying it but that is basically it. It does not put “Aim bots” or do anything crazy to give you an unfair advantage – but it will bump your game up once you work with the controller for a bit.
I didn’t what to expect in the mail. When I received the controller I kind of looked at it like “Um… this is it?” But that is actually a GREAT thing! The build quality is so good beside the updated buttons/sticks and LED lights (I’ll get to that) it looks just like a standard controller. So great job on the over all quality!
The controller I received is a basic black body with updated blue buttons, sticks, triggers, and LED lights. If you notice the buttons aren’t even labeled. But we don’t need no stinkin’ labels! The thumb sticks were textured and somewhat sticky to make sure to hold on to my thumbs while playing. The buttons, d-pad, flippers, start/select all had been changed to the matching dark blue color.
My only gripe? The PS Button in the middle? Its a little recessed and at first I had some difficulty with pressing it (I have big hands.) Then of course there is this little button found on the bottom of the controller. And that is where all the magic happens!
Rapid Mod PS3 Controller Features
I did my best to put the controller through its paces. I played a good 4-5 hours with it online without using any of the features just to get a feel for it. That and to test the battery charge, button responsiveness etc.. I can say with it just being a “regular” controller it is quite nice. It already comes pre-setup with being able to play today’s FPS shooter games. Some examples are listed below.
- Call of Duty Black Ops 2
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
- Battlefield 3
- Gears of War 3
- 2-Way Adjustable Burst – This allows you to turn your rapid fire weapon into a burst fire weapon easily and quickly. It does not matter if you have earned the attachment in the game as it is handled by the controller itself. This comes in handy when you need to make that tricky long shot to take out that sniper from across the map.
- Completely User Reprogrammable – You can adjust the speed settings to your taste.
- Mode Memory – It will remember the settings you set it for it. The next time you pick it up you off and gaming – no special tricks. “Just set it and forget it” (I know corny) 🙂
- Speed Memory – It will also remember the speed settings you have setup for the Controller. No need to reset up your controller each time you wish to use it.
- 10 User Friendly Modes – You can easily access, turn on or off each mode on the Controller at any time. It truly was simple and easy to use!
- Auto Aim Technology – Note that this feature ONLY works with the Campaign and Zombies in Call of Duty Black Ops 2
- DropShot – This feature allows you to automatically drop to the floor every time you fire.
- Dual Wield – This allows you to dual wield single shot pistols and just hold down the triggers instead of having to press the button for each shot.
- Jitter Fire – This optoin allows you to hold down the trigger for any weapon that is normally a single-shot.
- Adjustable Fast Reload – This allows you to reload your weapon faster. You have to manually setup the speed for each different weapon though.
- Default Options – You can easily reset the controller back to its defaults if you decide you want to re-program it for a different game or setting.
What I Liked
Look and Build Quality
Overall I thought the look and build quality of the controller were fantastic! If it didn’t have the blue buttons and accents I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between it and a standard PS3 Controller. It really is built well.
It is responsive! All of the buttons, thumb sticks etc. worked great. I gave this thing a workout too! I played with it for more than a few hours and I found myself wanting to use it more and more.
Jitter, Fast Reload, and Burst Fire
I really liked the Jitter, Fast Reload, and Burst Fire options on the controller. After I was able to get the controller setup it was a snap to use! If I didn’t want to use a feature? I could easily turn it on or off either in between matches or even during the game!
What I Didn’t Like
Auto Drop Shot
Now this IS NOT the fault of the controller let me clarify this up front. The feature tended to work great. The issue for me is I have the controller setup as Tactical – which is not good for this mode. You have to set the game settings to the default in order for this feature to work correctly. Oh, and if you do use this option while you do have the game setup for Tactical? You will automatically knife after each shot – which is pretty funny the first few times you do it.
Jitter, Burst Mode, or Dual Wield Modes
Now not the modes themselves as I liked them a lot. What I didn’t like is if you forget to turn them off? It is impossible to use certain Score Streaks in the game and if you want to quickly do something in between matches? Every time you click on the trigger it will cause some strange things to happen. So having to turn off these features during a match or in between them was a pain in the ass. It isn’t the Controller’s fault though. It is doing what I asked it to do when I enable the feature 🙂 It just takes some getting used to so that is something to keep in mind if you decide to purchase one.
Is it Cheating?
Um – this is debatable. If the Aim Bot portion worked while Online? Then I would definitely say YES! Otherwise I say no – all of the features offered only give help you do tasks that your already performing already. I already drop shot – which might seem a dirty trick to some players – but it is in the mechanic of the game. And it does not automatically turn each weapon you use into some crazy fast shot. It just allows you to hold down the trigger instead of trying to quickly hit it over and over. Sure you will get an edge over those who don’t use this type of controller. For me though? I don’t consider it cheating.
I was really impressed with the Rapid Fire PlayStation 3 Controller. Not only does it look awesome, it worked just like it said it would. There is nothing cheap about this controller. It is a high quality precision device that will help you get an edge on other players. I would definitely suggest purchasing one if you are struggling or if your a “pro”. Either gamer type would benefit from the use of this controller.
Oh yeah! I almost forgot! Not only were Gamers Option nice enough to give me this controller to review. They said I could give it away to one lucky person! Stay tuned as I plan on doing this giveaway very soon.
I Can’t Wait – I Want to Purchase One NOW?
These are available for both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. I have searched online and other sites are charging way more than Gamers Option does. You can pick up one like the one I reviewed for $84.99 (plus tax/shipping). Online I found the same ones going for $120.00! You can click on the review link below, click on the banner at the top right, or go click on the word Gamers Option.
What do You Think?
Leave a comment on what you thought about the review and if you think using one of these Rapid Fire PS3 Controllers is cheating?